There’s no place like home, right? Well, except for maybe a vacation home. More and more people are looking to weekly vacation rentals when they travel instead of traditional hotels or bed and breakfasts. The ability to rent a condo, house, or apartment for a short period definitely has some major perks (fresh coffee, anyone?), but it pays to prepare in advance. Don’t forget to bring these must-have items to your next travel spot so that your weekly vacation rentals will feel just like home!
- Sponge: Using the rental kitchen is a great way to save money on meals instead of eating out, but you still have to do the dishes! Bring a fresh sponge that you know is clean to look after spills, too.
- Toiletries: Unlike hotels, most weekly vacation rentals don’t come with those complimentary tiny bottles of shampoo. Bring your own, just in case, or buy some at the store once you arrive.
- Movies: No cable? No problem. Lots of rentals come with DVD players so that you can sit back and curl up on the couch after a long day of exploring.
- Groceries: These you’ll probably want to buy after you arrive, especially if you’re traveling by plane. But it might be a good idea to stow away your favorite condiments or some aluminum foil, for example, so that you don’t end up with a lot of extras.
- Corkscrew: Some 42% of people feel more romantic during a vacation, but nothing kills the mood faster than being unable to open that nice bottle of wine you picked up at the store! Bring your own corkscrew for emergency purposes.
- Less Clothing: No, this one isn’t related to the romance tips above. But since you can often do laundry in most condo rentals, you can pack on the lighter side and still have fresh clothes to wear every day. It’s a win-win.
Vacationing in a rental house or condo can be a lot different than staying in a hotel. A lot of people actually prefer the flexibility it offers. If you haven’t tried it yet, give it a go on your next trip. Just don’t forget to pack the right stuff!