Americans care about their skin. From the active (and early) prevention of fine lines and wrinkles to the $2.2 billion spent on acne treatments, we are always trying to ensure it retains its elasticity and youthful appearance. As a result, many different types of chemical peels have become quite popular; whether you’re concerned over crows feet and forehead lines or are desperately trying to treat your acne outbreaks, there’s a chemical peel for you. Let’s take a look at five types of chemical peels available.
- Glycolic Peel: This peel has the smallest molecular size, meaning it penetrates the deepest into your skin. If you’re looking to exfoliate and rejuvenate aging skin, this is the chemical peel you’ll want to go with. Because it comes in varying strengths, you’ll be able to find the right one for your desired results.
- Lactic Peel: The lactic peel is derived from milk, making it the ideal choice for skin that is dry or sensitive to certain active ingredients (such as retinol). If you’re worried about having an adverse reaction, the lactic peel is much easier and gentler on skin.
- Beta Peel: This peel is used for acne treatment in both younger and older patients. By using salicylic acid to exfoliate the skin and help with oil control, it is able to target the nasty bacteria that lead to outbreaks.
- Vitalize Peel: This peel is comprised of citric, lactic, and salicylic acids, and also includes a retinol layer. Its overall goal is to improve the quality and lighten the pigmentation of your skin. Because this is more of a superficial peel, it is a great place to start for beginners.
- Pigment Balancing Peel: The pigment balancing peel is designed to lighten the skins pigmentation. If you’re interested in eliminating brown spots or reducing the appearance of an uneven skin tone, this peel can help — but it will take time and you’ll need to use sunscreen.
There are many different skin types, and therefore many different types of chemical peels to match their unique needs. As long as you do your research before seeking out a professional peel, you’ll wake up in the skin you’ve always wanted.