Choosing the perfect engagement ring is obviously one of the most stressful purchase-based decisions a person will ever make. After all, it’s more than just a piece of jewelry: it represents an entire relationship! But finding the right ring doesn’t have to be such a stressful experience. We’ve outlined below a few hints and tips to getting just the right ring for just the right person.
- Diamonds are a girl’s best friend – When shopping for a diamond, it’s important to keep in mind the 4 C’s: Color, Clarity, Cut, and Carat Weight. The more colorless the diamond, the fewer blemishes is has, and the more facets and carats it has, the more valuable it is. Good jewelers will take care to offer only the finest quality diamonds, but it’s helpful to know what to keep an eye out for.
- …But they don’t have to be – While diamonds are by far the most popular stone for engagement rings, they are by no means the only option. Sapphires, for example, have become much more popular since Prince William gave Kate Middleton his mother’s 18-carat sapphire engagement ring. Some people choose a stone in their partner’s favorite color, or their birthstone. Custom engagement rings mean the world is your oyster (speaking of which, a pearl is a lovely choice!)
- It’s not all about the stone – Platinum and gold engagement rings are the most popular, but they are not the only options out there. Titanium, silver, and stainless steel are also commonly used. 73% of engagement rings in 2011 were made of white gold, but trends are always changing.
- Personalize it! – 26.3% of couples choose to personalize their engagement rings. Custom engagement rings can have a customized design, or custom ring engraving. You can have a name, date, or special personal message engraved on the band. Make it your own!
- Tiffany’s is not the only option – There are many different places to find the right engagement ring. You can always go to your standard jewelry store for all the popular styles, for designing custom engagement rings with a jeweler. You can also search out antique shops for vintage style engagement rings. There are even many online jewelers, meaning you can find the perfect engagement ring from the comfort of your own couch.
All of these hints aside, the most important tip for selecting a ring is to find the ring that is right for you and your partner. It may not be the most popular style, it may not be the biggest diamond, but if you see a ring that really speaks to you, or makes you think of him or her, then that is likely the right choice. Go with your gut. More research here.